JOB TITLE: NOLS Mexico Spring Program Supervisor
REPORTS TO: NOLS Mexico Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise and mentor NOLS Mexico field faculty, ensuring program quality, and promoting student and staff satisfaction. Deliver information on course logistics, operating areas, curriculum, performance expectations, risk management practices, and the NOLS mission and vision.
QUALIFICATIONS: A passion for the NOLS mission. Outdoor program and staff management experience. Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, supervisory, problem-solving and facilitation skills. Ability to work independently, and as part of a team in a fast-paced and sometimes unpredictable environment. Ability to work flexible and irregular hours. Must have NOLS Field Faculty status.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise and mentor field faculty. Form an important communication link between NOLS administration and field faculty. Manage challenging and complex field and in-town situations pertaining to student, family, and staff issues or concerns.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Work with instructors to manage money going to the field for re-rations, emergency money, and/or evacuations.
70% Program and Field Staff Supervision
• Provide field staff with quality briefings, debriefings and performance evaluations; mentor, coach and supervise staff for the duration of their contracts.
• Ensure faculty understand NOLS Accepted Field Practices.
• Utilize the NOLS Field Instructor Skills in evaluating instructor performance, and make recommendations for instructors' professional development.
• Review and organize all course related paperwork.
• Contribute to an environment that encourages field staff and students to feel relaxed, supported, and focused going into the field.
• Maintain curriculum files, library and other resource materials.
• Share responsibility with the Mexico program team by carrying, answering, and facilitating conversations on the evac phone. Be involved in problem solving and logistics around evacuations.
• Educate instructors regarding school-wide issues, and participate in program supervisor meetings as work schedule allows.
25% Operations Support
• Assist with course logistics, outfitting, rationing, meal and vehicle preparation to contribute to excellent student service.
• Drive students to and from the field, including occasional evacuation drives.
• Share in the responsibility of maintaining safe, clean and efficient facilities.
5% Other Responsibilities
• As assigned by the director.
• May be required to act as fill-in instructor. Must maintain active instructor status.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Mexico. Beautiful Bahía Concepción, Baja California Sur - Housing is available on site for a small fee. Kitchen, staples and living areas are communal with other NOLS Mexico in-town staff (and field faculty when on-site).
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to: NOLS Mexico Director, Ximena Carrión Fregoso.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled
STARTING DATE: January 1st, 2022 to April 22nd, 2022.
This position could start this fall (November/December) physically at the campus, for training purposes, and/or remotely. (Our current team will have a two-week break between December 18-31, 2021).
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.