JOB TITLE: NOLS Alaska Kitchen Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Alaska Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee the production of nutritious meals. Maintain a clean, friendly, and welcoming kitchen and dining room.
- Experience and/or education in food service and kitchen management.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, self-motivation, and a strong work ethic. Able to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Flexible hours are required; the schedule includes early morning, weekend, and holiday work.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Google suite is desired.
- Knowledge of planning and budgeting.
- Clear communication and vision to build positive working relationships.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise assistant kitchen manager and kitchen assistants. Oversee kitchen.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage a budget of approximately $75,000.
- Execute meal schedule within operating plan. Plan menu, purchase inventory, clean, and maintain work areas.
- Observe local health department regulations and work as a shift cook in the schedule.
- Work closely with the Alaska garden manager to plan menu around seasonal vegetable production.
- Oversee budget, track monthly financial reports, maintain purchasing and pricing records, and requisition all invoices.
- Plan all equipment maintenance and purchases with assistance from Alaska operations manager.
- Assist the Alaska operations manager with hiring staff (5-6 seasonal kitchen assistants).
- Train new staff.
- Build and execute the scheduling of kitchen staff.
- Conduct end-of-season performance reviews for all kitchen staff.
- Meet weekly with NOLS Alaska managers.
- Maintain flexibility and adaptability toward unexpected logistical changes.
- Use Google docs system to coordinate schedules and meal needs.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Alaska, Palmer, AK
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Maggie O’Brien, Alaska Operations Manager.
Phone: 907-746-4047 ext. 3331
Contact Maggie O’Brien with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 20, 2019.
STARTING DATE: April 2020.
WORK CONDITIONS: This is a 4½ month position, starting in April. Private rustic housing is provided on site. Meals are cooked for staff during the operating season. Kitchen and living areas are shared with other NOLS Alaska staff. A moderate campus fee applies for staff living on site.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.