JOB TITLE: Finance Manager, NOLS Custom Education
REPORTS TO: Business Operations Manager, NOLS Custom Education
JOB OBJECTIVE: The NOLS Custom Education finance manager is responsible for approving, processing, and recording the department’s financial transactions; assisting the business operations manager with annual budgeting and reviewing monthly financial statements and projections; maintaining reliable and accurate financial records; and integrating NOLS Custom Education’s business practices with school-wide systems.
QUALIFICATIONS: The finance manager must communicate in a professional, friendly, clear, and efficient manner with clients, NOLS Custom Education personnel, and NOLS-wide audiences over the phone, via computer, and in person. They must be comfortable with computer database systems and proficient with Microsoft Excel and Google Suite. The finance manager must be able to manage a large volume of detail and maintain a consistent and accurate record of financial transactions in a busy work environment. They must be able to work independently and proactively within the department and prioritize daily tasks. They must be able to think critically, exercise sound judgement, and make decisions grounded in ethics and generally accepted accounting principles. Experience and/or education in accounting is preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: This position is primarily responsible for ensuring the accuracy of Custom Education accounting records, executing financial transactions, and overseeing all department account lines and financial systems. The finance manager acts as a liaison for financial matters between NOLS Custom Education and the NOLS Finance department, NOLS locations, clients, instructors, and students. This position does not supervise any other employees.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: The Custom Education finance manager is independently responsible for the accurate transaction and recording of all NOLS Custom Education receivables and payables for approximately 200 courses and a $4M budget annually.
75% - Manage and audit departmental finances:
- Understand and apply business rules associated with specific clients and pricing models while maintaining integrity of accounts within the NOLS Custom Education financial system.
- Execute or review, and verify and record all Custom Education financial transactions (e.g. invoicing clients, writing requisitions, initiating inter-departmental transfers of funds, and reviewing and approving travel expense journals and travel advances).
- Ensure reimbursements to staff and instructors are accurate and comply with internal policies.
- Oversee approximately 10 employee credit cards.
- Sign for use of revenue and expense accounts.
- Supervise instructor payroll unique to California.
- Oversee non-routine transactions on student accounts.
- Provide reliable data for monthly and year-end financial reporting.
- Maintain database integrity for all financial-related data.
- Work with department staff to correctly maintain proper accounting and documentation.
15% - Develop and improve financial systems; other special projects including:
- Review and initiate accounting systems, forms, policies, procedures, and internal controls. Revise as appropriate for improved efficiency and functionality.
- Document policies and procedures for all aspects of Custom Education finances.
- Work with software developers to maintain and improve database functionality.
- Engage in special projects, professional development, and department community-building activities.
10% - Conduct research and analysis of Custom Education financial records to identify trends and to help inform the Custom Education business operations manager, assistant director, and director in reporting, strategic planning, and budgeting.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters in Lander, WY.
HOW TO APPLY: Please direct inquiries to Judd Strom, NOLS Custom Education Business Operations Manager.
Phone: (307) 335-2211
Send cover letter and resume to Anna Goforth, NOLS Custom Education.
Phone: (307) 335-2220
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: December 9, 2019.
STARTING DATE: January 2, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.