JOB TITLE: NOLS India Program Supervisor
REPORTS TO: NOLS India Program Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Support faculty in delivering exceptional student experiences. The NOLS India program supervisor oversees field instructor teams by providing curriculum support, route information, and risk management oversight. This person also serves as the direct supervisor for individual field staff, ensuring program quality by promoting faculty excellence.
QUALIFICATIONS: We seek an instructor working at the course leader level. Experience in at least one of the course types that India runs (backpacking, mountaineering, and rafting) is important. This position demands excellent oral and written communication skills, creative problem solving, and effective team building. The ability to work independently and to work flexible and irregular hours is necessary. Must maintain active instructor status and be available to work in the field in the event of injury/illness or unavailability of faculty.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly supervise field faculty and food services manager. Serve as a communication link between NOLS administration and faculty.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for payments to government agencies and petty cash of amounts up to INR 50,000.
- Review and organize all course-related paperwork, including course leader folders and pre-course information for students and staff.
- Maintain curriculum files, library, and other resource materials.
- Plan course routes, logistics, and schedules; book and coordinate with vendors for all travel and accomodation for field courses.
- Provide faculty with clear and concise briefings and debriefings.
- Write faculty performance evaluations within context of NOLS Accepted Field Practices and NOLS Instructor Qualifications and Performance Expectations.
- Debrief students and manage end-of-course logistics, including Course Quality Surveys.
- Coach faculty on career development.
- Facilitate challenging situations, including student or staff behavioral issues or performance concerns, injuries, illnesses, and evacuations. Communicate with parents and family members as necessary.
- Coordinate with NOLS World Headquarters to ensure that course administrative tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Network to support schoolwide programs and initiatives, such as participating in program supervisor meetings.
- Share evacuation coordinator duties by carrying a 24-hour emergency phone during operating season.
- Supervise NOLS India food services manager.
- Work on special projects as requested by NOLS India program manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: Ranikhet, India. On-campus housing with food staples available for a modest fee.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Ravi Kumar, NOLS India Program Manager.
Contact NOLS India Program Manager Ravi Kumar with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open untill filled.
STARTING DATE: August 15, 2019.
- Fall season contract dates are August 15 – December 15, 2019.
- Spring season contract dates are February 15 – May 30, 2020.
- Preference is to hire one individual for both seasons. We may consider applicants for only one season.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.