JOB TITLE: NOLS Northeast Rations Coordinator
REPORTS TO: NOLS Northeast Assistant Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee all aspects of NOLS Northeast field food (rations) and in-town meals. Provide nutritious food. Aid in educating on basic nutrition, meal planning, and on the NOLS bulk rationing system. Participate as a team member in problem solving, operations support, and facilities maintenance.
QUALIFICATIONS: Familiarity with the philosophy of bulk field rations, cooking, and knowledge of nutrition. Desire to provide excellent customer service. Must possess strong organizational skills and strong work ethic. Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work independently and on a team. Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. Ability to work flexible hours is required, including some weekends and holidays.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Offer and receive timely feedback. Supervise all aspects of providing food. Supervise operations team that supports rationing system.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Purchase and track food-related expenses valued at approximately $35,000. Responsible for credit card, vendor accounts, and petty cash expenses on a regular basis.
- Meet food needs through planning and purchasing all field rations using NOLS’ software program.
- Oversee the preparation of rations.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with food vendors.
- Plan, purchase, and pack accommodations for specific food requirements (eg. food allergies, gluten-free diets, etc.)
- Perform associated bookkeeping duties. Track expenses.
- Teach students about the NOLS rationing process and proper nutrition in the backcountry.
- Plan and order catered in-town meals and road meals.
- Maintain an impeccably clean and organized rations room and kitchen.
- Oversee that food preparation, serving, and storage equipment is maintained in a sanitary, functional condition.
- Contribute to long-term improvements to the rations systems.
- Assist with operations, including outfitting, transportation, evacuations, and program duties.
- Perform other facility cleanup, maintenance, and special projects as assigned by the operations manager.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance participates in a discrimination investigation or otherwise, opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Northeast, located in Gabriels, NY, in the heart of the Adirondack Park. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY.
FOOD AND LODGING: Shared housing with communal use of kitchen and living areas for $50 per month. Meals are provided when students are at the NOLS Northeast campus.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Taylor Huntley, NOLS Northeast Program Manager.
Contact Taylor Huntley with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 15, 2020.
EMPLOYMENT LENGTH AND START DATE: Late May through September 1, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.