JOB TITLE: NOLS Rocky Mountain Driver Mechanic
REPORTS TO: NOLS Rocky Mountain Assistant Director
Transport NOLS Rocky Mountain students, staff and courses safely around the Rocky Mountain west. Maintain excellent, welcoming customer service. Drive buses, vans, two and four-wheel drive vehicles with trailers when applicable. Work on fleet maintenance projects, as needed. Supervise and/or work on automotive painting projects, welding and fabricating, and special projects, as needed. Maintain the NOLS fleet in good running order and transport courses. Remain flexible to changing and uncertain schedules and time on the road. Respond to the needs of broken down vehicles. Job involves periodic heavy lifting, specifically:
- automotive components—tires, brake drums, transmissions*, clutch components, drive lines, third members*, transfer cases*, engine* and engine components;
- fabrication projects—dimensional steel and plate steel; (*with mechanical lifts, dolleys, etc.)
- course-related materials—ration boxes (avg. 25 lbs./box) and duffles (25-125 lbs.), fuel cases (36 lbs.), backpacks (50-100 lbs.);
- misc. shop maintenance and clean-up duties;
- snowmachines—some lifting required for loading and unloading from trailers, servicing and getting unstuck in the field.
- Periodic shifts of long hours of driving company buses, trucks and vans. In some cases, these runs involve up to 10 hour days behind the wheel, 15 hours cumulative.
- High school graduate.
- Wide range of driving, mechanic, 4-cycle, 2-cycle work, with a Wyoming Class B CDL license (2 years minimum) essential.
- Auto mechanics trade school background (1 year) or equivalent practical experience helpful.
- Experience with metal fabrication and automotive painting helpful (1 year practical or trade school).
- Subject to DOT physical exam updates every two years.
- Subject to initial pre-hire drug and alcohol screening and periodic random drug and alcohol screening on a quarterly basis thereafter.
- Ability to work weekends, odd hours and be on the road for 2-5 days at a time away from Lander.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Oversee all logistics and risk management associated with transporting courses.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Maintain a full set of credit cards and petty cash.
- 55% Assist with vehicle maintenance program; this includes performing routine driver services, to more involved 3,000 and 6,000 mile maintenance tasks. Work as a mechanic on a fleet of 40 motorized vehicles and 22 trailers.
- 20% Drive courses by bus throughout the Rocky Mountain states in all four seasons and adverse weather conditions, including snow, ice and variable wind. Maintain a daily log book whether driving or working in town.
- 10% Weld and fabricate special projects.
- 10% Perform special projects and duties, as assigned, including assisting with administrative paperwork. Assist with seasonal logistics planning.
- 5% Snowmobile maintenance.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Lander, WY. This is a full-time, benefitted position. Housing is not provided.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to:
Tom Sweet, NOLS Rocky Mountain Transportation Manager
Contact Tom Sweet with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: September 21, 2020
START DATE: Late September
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.