JOB TITLE: NOLS Rocky Mountain Kitchen Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Rocky Mountain Kitchen Manager and/or Rocky Mountain Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise and/or assist in the production of nutritious, delicious meals that prioritize local and environmentally conscious ingredients when possible and practical within the kitchen budget. Promote a friendly, inclusive, and welcoming culture within the kitchen and dining room. Maintain a clean workspace (kitchen, pantry, walk-in refrigerator and freezers) that prioritizes ServSafe health standards, consolidation, clear dating and labeling, and a FIFO (first in, first out) mindset. Assist with ordering food, shopping for in-town items, planning menus, scheduling, and doing computer work as needed.
- Experience, education and/ or interest in food service and kitchen management, especially for large groups and for people with dietary restrictions/preferences (i.e. gluten-free, vegan, nut allergies, etc.).
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to work independently in meal planning and preparation of meals.
- Attention to detail, especially in regard to dietary requirements/restrictions.
- Flexible mindset, creativity, positive attitude, and sense of humor.
- Supervisory and communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate needs and receive/provide thoughtful, timely feedback.
- Excitement for work that has a fluctuating schedule. Flexible hours maintained; the schedule includes many early mornings and weekend work throughout the calendar year.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise part-time assistants and seasonal assistants. Operate independently from the kitchen manager up to 50% of the time in the planning and preparing of meals while keeping in mind scheduling complexities and dietary restrictions. Ensure compliance with health codes.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Maintain inventory control of food purchasing while tracking costs. Keep track of receipts from all purchases.
- Supervise and/or assist with meal and road food production.
- Clean and maintain all work areas.
- Observe all health department regulations.
- Work as a shift cook in the schedule.
- Purchase and inventory food supplies.
- Train part-time employees with clarity, sensitivity and high standards.
- Execute special projects requested by the NOLS Rocky Mountain director, Rocky Mountain Operations Manager, or Rocky Mountain Kitchen Manager, including NOLS field work, if qualified.
- Comply with evolving Covid-19 practices for NOLS in-town staff.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Rocky Mountain, Lander, WY. This is a full-time, salaried position.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to: Kelsey Wicks, NOLS Rocky Mountain Operations Manager
Contact Kelsey with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 2, 2021.
STARTING DATE: April or May 2021.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitingthislink.