JOB TITLE: NOLS Teton Valley Operations Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Teton Valley Operations Managers/Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: NOLS Teton Valley is looking for self-motivated individuals to join our operations team. The ideal operations assistant is dedicated to ensuring successful student experiences by providing support in the behind-the-scenes aspects of running this location. They will provide expertise in gear, rations food, the kitchen, and/or facility maintenance. Responsibilities for all assistants include driving, supporting students and faculty throughout the duration of courses, and contributing as a member of a hard-working, high-energy team.
We will be hiring four assistants for the summer. One will primarily work in the equipment room. The second will work more closely with the transportation and facilities manager. The third will work in the rations (field food) department. The fourth position will assist the kitchen manager in preparing in town meals and managing our garden.
Please specify in your cover letter which position you are interested in.
- Great communication, flexibility, tolerance for adversity, and excellent team work.
- Excellent driving skills and willingness to complete NOLS Defensive Driver training.
- Able to perform periodic heavy lifting of up to 80 pounds.
- Organized, hardworking, attentive to detail, and able to work independently.
- Able to work flexible hours daily and weekly (e.g. early morning or later evening as well as some weekends).
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
The ideal candidate(s) for these positions will demonstrate a desire to work hard, live in a small community, and build skills in a range of areas including education, leadership, facilitation, and organization. Experience driving vans, trucks, and trailers is helpful, but training will be provided.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: The operations assistant will need to demonstrate excellent self leadership and active followership in this role. This position does not have supervisory duties, but does need to be a strong, positive team member who contributes to a fun and fast paced work environment.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Petty cash.
50% - Assist the rations, facilities, kitchen, and/or equipment manager with providing pre- and post-course support to our summer programs.
- Rations: Assist with inventory, preparation, and education regarding field rations and nutrition. Facilitate field-based resupplies.
- Facilities/Transportation: Assist with the upkeep of our 15-acre campus, buildings, and fleet of 10 vehicles and 6 trailers.
- Kitchen: Assist with in-town meal preparation, inventory, and expansion of our on-site garden production.
- Equipment: Assist with issue and de-issue of gear for courses and students. Repair equipment, maintain inventory, and assist with invoicing.
40% - Drive students to and from the field; organize and drive field-based resupplies. Other duties will include helping to keep the facilities, grounds, and vehicles clean and in good repair.
10% - Assist the program supervisors, assistant director and director with administrative work and other tasks as needed.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION AND CONDITIONS: NOLS Teton Valley, located in Driggs, Idaho, at the foot of the western side of the Teton Range (40 minutes from Jackson Hole, WY). Limited dormitory-style housing is available on a priority basis, but staff members are not required to live on property.
HOW TO APPLY: Contact manager for preferred position. Applications will be shared amongst managers. If interested in more than one position, please specify.
- For Rations Operations Assistant: Send cover letter and resume to Claire Burgeson, NOLS Teton Valley Rations Manager (email@example.com).
- For Facilities & Transportations Operations Assistant: Send cover letter and resume to Cheyenne Brown, NOLS Teton Valley Facilities & Transportation Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For Kitchen & Garden Operations Assistant: Send cover letter and resume to Kyra Bornong, NOLS Teton Valley Kitchen Manager (email@example.com).
- For Issue Room Operations Assistant: Send cover letter and resume to Holly Hilgemeier, NOLS Teton Valley Issue Room Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For general questions and inquiries please contact Patrick Solomon, NOLS Teton Valley Assistant Director.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 208-354-8843
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
STARTING DATE: Late May 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.