JOB TITLE: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Kitchen Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager or Assistant Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: In coordination, run all aspects of the kitchen at NOLS Three Peaks Ranch, serving around 230 people for the late summer and fall. Create a positive and welcoming working and living environment in the cookhouse.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, initiative, self-motivation, a strong work ethic, creativity and problem solving ability required.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Desire to learn, live and work in a small community, and maintain a positive environment.
- Ability to work safely and efficiently without direct supervision.
- Desire to learn about and execute cooking healthy food.
- Must be able to accommodate an ever-changing work schedule, which may include working weekends, 13-hour days, and 50+ hour weeks.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Create a welcoming kitchen and dining environment. Coach, as needed, students, instructors, and staff on kitchen expectations and best practices.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Work directly with supervisor to develop and maintain a kitchen budget. Responsible for petty cash, credit cards, kitchen-related receipts, and accounts, totalling approximately $30,000 per year. Responsible for proper care, cleaning, and maintenance of kitchen facility.
- Inventory, order and stock all kitchen supplies within budget.
- Provide healthy, nutritious home-cooked meals for horsepacking courses and Wilderness Medicine students when they are at Three Peaks.
- Stock kitchen with staples for staff and supplementary items for resupplies.
- Maintain communication and work closely and effectively in a team setting with others.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with all food vendors, local businesses, and community.
- Maintain a sanitary and organized kitchen facility.
- Supervise others in light kitchen preparation and cleanup duties.
- At times, work alongside and/or coordinate with another Kitchen manager to make meals for students.
- Perform other tasks as necessary, such as course drop offs/pick-ups, course evacuation drives, transportation and maintenance tasks.
- Work with a supervisor to create a balanced work schedule - much will be self- motivated.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Three Peaks Ranch, Boulder, Wyoming—NOLS Rocky Mountain. Private housing and food is provided on-site, throughout employment, for a small fee. Kitchen and living areas are communal.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to McKenzie Woolley, NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager.
Contact McKenzie Woolley with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: June 9, 2021.
Hiring two positions.
First position: Mid August-late November
Second position: Mid-September-late November
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.