JOB TITLE: River Base Outfitting & Facilities Assistant-Seasonal
REPORTS TO: River Base Special Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Facilitate student and instructor preparation for NOLS courses. Inspect, maintain, and repair tents, stoves, canoes, rafts, and other gear as skill level allows. Contribute to facilities operation and appearance by maintaining buildings, lawns and outdoor spaces.
- Must have a desire to interact with students and work in a small community.
- Affinity to work independently with high attention to detail.
- Communicate clearly and build positive working relationships with others.
- Work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Curiosity about basic building and grounds maintenance tasks.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Explain and demonstrate proper use, care, and repair of equipment to students and field staff.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Maintain maintenance records on the lawnmower. Assist with inventory and purchase of all river expedition gear and equipment.
- Check, clean, repair, and maintain outfitting equipment. Routine cleaning and maintenance of the equipment room. Assist in boat repairs as skill as schedule allows.
- Lawn maintenance – keeping grounds generally tidy by mowing, weed removal, trash pick up etc.
- Perform facilities maintenance and tasks as skill allows.
- Perform vehicle maintenance tasks as skill allows.
- Maintain a flexible and supportive atmosphere.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE POLICY: All employees who are not working remotely and who do have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
WORK HOURS AND LOCATION: NOLS River Base - Vernal, UT. On campus housing available for a small fee. Kitchen and common space shared amongst staff.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to: Teresa Miller, NOLS River Base Manager AND Kelsey Wicks, NOLS Rocky Mountain Operations Manager.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Contact: Teresa Miller or Kelsey Wicks with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 26, 2021. Interviews will be held 11/22-11/24 and 11/29-12/1.
STARTING DATE: Early March 2022. Three-six months of employment.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visitinglink.