JOB TITLE: Senior Writer
REPORTS TO: Creative Project Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: The senior writer is responsible for overseeing and producing written content for NOLS publications related to courses and enrollment to maintain a consistent, lively, and informative voice in all NOLS media.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in English or journalism. Must have strong writing and editing abilities and an enthusiasm for communicating in an effective manner.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Directly supervise the writer. Active participation as part of the marketing and publications teams is expected.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: No fiscal responsibilities.
30% Brand Voice Management
- Create and maintain guidelines for the NOLS brand voice to be used schoolwide
- Provide cross-departmental training on implementing brand voice guidelines
- Provide direction to all departments on using the brand voice
- Maintain consistency of NOLS voice on publications within and outside of the school
40% Editorial/Project management
- Copy edit cross-departmental marketing and curriculum materials. Publications may include The Leader, the NOLS blog, the State of the School report, the catalog and supplementary marketing materials, brochures, email marketing campaigns, and website copy.
- Write and review copy on the NOLS website to ensure accuracy and relevance
- Work with staff at NOLS locations and in Admissions to maintain accurate and on-brand pre-course materials (course descriptions, travel and logistics documents, and equipment lists) for all expedition courses. This is ongoing work that includes updating templates and ensuring consistency across locations.
- Recruit and nurture writers for the blog. This includes seeking out new writers, editing posts, and maintaining relationships with contributors.
30% Content Creation
- Write copy for marketing materials, including but not limited to: inbound marketing campaigns, email newsletters, online landing pages, print brochures, The Leader, and the catalog
- Write blog posts regularly to maintain and grow NOLS’ presence on social media platforms with content that fosters alumni relationships to the school and helps expand NOLS’ relevance to new audiences
- A critical member of the crisis management team
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters in Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter, writing samples and resume to:
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 9/16/19
STARTING DATE: ASAP
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.