JOB TITLE: User Support Specialist 1
REPORTS TO: User Support Services Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Participate as a team member in the implementation and support of end-user systems. Serve as the primary initial point of contact for users' requests.
QUALIFICATIONS: An associate’s degree in a computer- or communications-related field or equivalent work experience. Working knowledge of networking, desktop applications, and operating systems is necessary. The willingness and ability to learn are important. Experience supporting customers by phone and email, experience with the Macintosh operating environment, and basic knowledge of voice and data communication basics are pluses.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Set a customer satisfaction/service tone for all customer requests. Communicate clearly and balance priorities with every level and department of the school.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Indirectly responsible for all software and hardware property.
- Serve as the main point of contact for those needing Information Systems services or assistance.
- Resolve customer requests on first call whenever possible. Dispatch unanswered requests.
- Primary responsibility for the IS ticketing system, including ticket creation, assignment, and monitoring. Triage and escalate request as appropriate to ensure the IS department is aware of problems that are severe or exceeding targets. Follow up with customers to ensure problem resolution.
- A comfort level working with the configuration of macOS, Windows, MS Office, and internet browsers, especially Google Chrome.
- Exposure to scripting languages is desired, especially bash and/or Python scripting. Exposure to jamf mobile device management (MDM), network administration, Google administration, UNIX systems, AppleScript, backup systems, and remote access is helpful but not required.
Address Tier 1 Requests Including:
- User account creation for internally-developed software and third-party tools such as Google.
- Ongoing user account management.
- Basic client backup and recovery assistance.
- Equipment support, including workstation, phone, and printing problems as well as accessory (keyboard, mouse, display, hub) replacement.
- Assist with workstation deployments and software management.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
WORK LOCATION: Lander, WY.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Jody Crain.
Contact Jody Crain at with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: ASAP.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.