JOB TITLE: Web Manager
REPORTS TO: Creative Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The marketing web manager position oversees the marketing web team responsible for the NOLS website and related digital campaigns (user experience (UX), content, development, performance, and optimization) while providing a seamless web experience for site visitors and internal stakeholders. Primary driver for website strategy and optimization leveraging industry best practices. The role oversees user experience, website engagement and transaction, and digital marketing campaigns.
- BS/BA undergraduate degree in interactive communication technology and/or front-end development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to develop strong relationships throughout the organization and work collaboratively with senior leadership.
- Supervisory management skills and ability to oversee delegated tasks and develop and train team members.
- Proven ability to effectively develop and implement processes and procedures as needed.
- Strong understanding of front-end development, specifically HTML, CSS, and design and layout best practices for web design.
- Training in UX and the ability to understand targeted audiences to develop relevant content to deliver a great user experience.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud, A/B testing software, interactive mockup software, and content management systems.
- Knowledge of the following is a plus: Hubspot, Django CMS, Chrome Developer Tools, GitHub, Hotjar, VWO, Sketch, Invision, Google Analytics, the Terminal, SASS, and Foundation.
- Understanding of common web browsers and web trends.
- Understanding of the capabilities and the limitations of the internet and a desire to stay current with trends and advances in internet technologies.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: This position is a management level position and is responsible for supervising the web marketing team including digital campaign coordinator, front-end developer, and web intern.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manages professional services budget for the website and related digital projects.
RESPONSIBILITIES: As part of the NOLS marketing department, the web manager works closely with marketing team leadership along with marketing outreach team, creative director, writers, and marketing creative team to maintain a functional website for our target audiences. The role will also work closely with departments around the school, including Information Systems, NOLS Expeditions, NOLS Wilderness Medicine, NOLS Custom Education, NOLS Risk Services, and Alumni & Development. The web manager may also support outside agency relationships.
The web manager will ensure all aspects of the NOLS website are functional and accessible including information architecture, search engine optimization, responsiveness, and compliance. This position is responsible for the research and understanding of target audiences to optimize the UX for our site visitors. The web manager is responsible for optimizing content and overseeing content modifications made by other departments throughout the school.
30% - Website Strategies
- Think strategically about ways to leverage the NOLS website to achieve schoolwide goals.
- Work as primary contact schoolwide to achieve website-driven goals.
- Promote user engagement and website conversion interactions.
- Develop a deep understanding of the visitors to the website and translate to website improvements.
- Work closely with data analyst to measure and track key site metrics.
20% - User experience and Optimization
- Conduct user research and user testing to create the ultimate user experience.
- Leverage site analytics to understand changes in traffic and engagement.
- Create web development project plans for enhancements and upgrades to the website to improve the user experience, user engagement, organic search rankings, and website health.
- Support the content team with linkable and shareable content on the website to promote links from other websites to support overall traffic generation strategy.
- Maintain search engine optimization (SEO) best practices.
- Stay current on all the tools, principles, and practices in user-centered web marketing, SEO, and general digital marketing.
20% - Project management
- Delegate projects and tasks to the web marketing team.
- Oversee email marketing and digital campaigns.
- Colloborate with writers, designers, video production, and developers to create relevant content and creative material for the website.
20% - Website management
- Modify and update content on the website.
- Problem solve any errors/bugs on the website.
- Process website requests from departments around the school.
- Keep the website up-to-date with the current direction of the NOLS brand and creative vision in collaboration with the Creative director.
- Stay up-to-date on accessibility and functionality best practices.
10% - Team Management
- Provide guidance, processes, and structure to the web marketing team and related projects.
- Train designated employees from departments around the school on how to update the website and coordinate web content contributions with our content management system.
- Responsible for the improvement and maintenance of web development processes by proactively gathering input from internal and external stakeholders and providing feedback and suggestions to management.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters, Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Brad Christensen, Creative Director.
Contact Brad Christensen with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: ASAP.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.