JOB TITLE: River Base Operations Supervisor
REPORTS TO: River Base Assistant Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee all NOLS River Base operations and create new operational systems to support the growth of the NOLS River Base. This person will hold the vision for the nine month operating season and provide continuity in River Base operational systems. This person is also the point of contact for all land management agencies and independent contractors that the River Base conducts business with.
QUALIFICATIONS: Able to hold big-picture vision while simultaneously being detail-oriented. Effective verbal communication skills both one on one and with large teams. Necessary skills include effective problem solving, resilience in dynamic situations, organized, taking initiative, creativity, and a willingness to think outside the box.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Responsible for River Base course logistics, route planning, and broadly communicating pertinent information and changes to a variety of stakeholders and managers. Create program calendars and course logistics sheets and ensure updates are made efficiently. Carry the evacuation phone as needed.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for petty cash, gas cards, credit cards and budgets associated with course spending.
- Organize, manage and update course logistics of NOLS Rocky Mountain River Base operations. This includes securing river launches and reserving necessary campsites.
- Create and maintain program calendars and logistics sheets. Effectively communicate changes to program and operations staff.
- Work with the NOLS Rocky Mountain operations manager, program manager and River Base program manager to evolve operational systems based on instructor team and student feedback.
- Represent NOLS in communication with land management agencies and independent contractors.
- Oversee river permit acquisition and use reporting with BLM and Dinosaur National Monument.
- Manage gas cards, petty cash and NOLS Visa.
- Manage finances and paperwork associated with River Base Operations.
- Other duties as assigned by NOLS River Base Assistant Manager including driving and supporting re-rations and evacuations.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT: All employees who are not working remotely and who do not have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS River Base - Vernal, UT. Position is ¾ time and benefitted. Operating season is from mid-February to late November. On campus housing available for a small fee. Kitchen and common space shared amongst staff.
HOW TO APPLY- Send cover letter and resume to: Teresa Miller, NOLS River Base Manager AND Kelsey Wicks, NOLS Rocky Mountain Operations Manager.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 26, 2021
STARTING DATE: Mid-February on campus. Potential for remote work upon hire.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.