Who should attend?
If you oversee a program that takes people off the beaten path, you are a good candidate for this course. Participants represent organizations from:
- Outdoor education programs
- Colleges and universities
- Secondary schools
- Study abroad, international programs, and travel companies
- Military outdoor programs
- Wilderness therapy programs
- Guide services
- Scientific research entities
- Others operating in remote environments
Outcomes and Benefits to Your Program
- Learn a structured approach to designing a risk management plan.
- Analyze your approach to risk oversight, curriculum, staff hiring and training, field support services, and emergency planning.
- Participate in exercises to help you evaluate your approach to staffing, contracting, and serious incident response.
Tools You'll Receive
- Risk Management Action Plan Workbook
- NOLS Crisis Management Template and NOLS Wilderness Medicine Protocol Package
- Resource examples and templates, including a risk release, health form, orientation checklist, transportation policy, and more.
- Risk Management Oversight
- Participant Agreement and Enrollment Materials
- Accepted Behaviors and Expulsion Policies
- Health Review
- Program Evaluation and Incident Review
- Staff Hiring
- Policies, Practices, and Protocols
- Staff Training
- Medical Treatment
- Emergency Response Planning
- Crisis Management
- Action Planning for your Organization