College Credit

Find the Best Options for You

You can earn college credit through the University of Utah for the leadership, environmental studies, risk management, and outdoor skills learned on your NOLS course.

Find the best options for you and step-by-step instructions for setting up your college credit before your course using the links below.



University of Utah

More than 400 colleges and universities nationwide have accepted the University of Utah credit earned on a NOLS course. High school graduates, or equivalent, may register for University of Utah credit.  Current high school students must have completed their junior year with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher. To receive the optional college credits, you will need to register and pay the University of Utah credit fees, in addition to the course tuition, before your course begins.

Direct Credit From Your College

Currently, we work with approximately 20 colleges that offer their own credit and process financial aid for a NOLS course. This is not a restrictive or guaranteed list, as colleges frequently accept or deny credit on a case-by-case basis.

Central Wyoming College offers credit for NOLS courses through several of their associate degree programs. 




University of Utah college credit can be accessed during your course, while Western State Colorado University and Central Wyoming College credit must be initiated 30 days before the course start date. Prior to college credit registration and payment, please contact your school to verify they will accept the transfer credits from the college credit source you choose below.


On-course Access to College Credit

Registration and payment for college credit payable to the University of Utah must take place on course. College credit is offered through the University of Utah for the Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Wilderness First Responder (WFR), Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals (WUMP) and Wilderness EMT (WEMT) courses. Except for the WFA, registration forms submitted after the course will not be accepted. The University of Utah provides undergraduate semester credits for these courses. Transcripts are not immediately available due to the reporting schedule.

For questions regarding the credits, please contact the Center for Emergency Programs of the Department of Health Promotion and Education at the University of Utah at 801-581-4512 or

University of Utah Credits and Costs

  • WEMT 9 credits HEDU 5980 Sec 30 $550
  • WFR 3 credits HEDU 3980 Sec 30 $300
  • WFA 1 credit HEDU 1960 Sec 30 $95
  • WUMP 4 credits HEDU 3970 Sec 30 $350

Apply Here

Pre-course Access to College Credit

Central Wyoming College (CWC) and Western State Colorado University (Western) provide an open enrollment opportunity prior to a wilderness medicine course. Thirty days prior to the course, interested students must initiate registration and payment for credit by requesting the enrollment forms for CWC or Western from NOLS Wilderness Medicine.

Central Wyoming College Credits and Costs*

  • WEMT 9 credits HELD 2010 plus HELD 2015
  • WFR 4 credits HELD 2010

*Credit cost information is based on residency.

Western State Colorado University Credits and Costs

  • WEMT 6 credits ROE 397 $480
  • WUMP 1 credit ROE 397 $80
  • WFR 3 credits ROE 397 $240
  • WAFA 1 credit ROE 397 $80
  • WFA 0.5 credit ROE 397 $60 
  • WFR-R 1 credit ROE 397 $80
  • Hybrid WFR-R 1 Credit ROE 297 $80
  • WMPP 0.5 credit ROE 397 $60 
  • WME 0.5 credit ROE 397 $60
  • MED 5 credits ROE 397 $400



Wilderness Risk Management Conference

Wilderness Risk Management Conference (WRMC) participants may apply for college credit. Registration and payment are due prior to the start of the conference.